Images of the Past by Walter Zielinski & James Owen

Minimize

   The Holland Land Office Museum acquired more than 2,000 postcards and other memorabilia from local collector and museum friend, Mr. Walter Zielinski.  As a tribute to Mr. Zielinski, we are pleased to share his collection.  Holland Purchase Historical Society Board Member, Mr. James R. Owen has volunteered many hours researching information to provide descriptions of the postcards.  

    Color or colorization?  What's the difference?  History tells us that postcards were first published in 1869 in Germany and were mainly printed in black and white.  It was not until about 1898 that postcards were routinely colorized, a process in which publishers sent their photographs to Italy or India, where lithography was an art, to be colorized. 

   Colorization was found to be more attractive to the consumer and increased sales.  Only problem was that the artists in Europe or India had to use their imagination when coloring the photos and most of the time, the colors were artificial, not accurate, or reliable.  In our collection, many postcards highlight particular buildings in Batavia which can show the buildings in up to three different color schemes!  Colorization of postcards ended around 1930 when printing techniques improved and postcards were printed in true to life colors.  Most collectors today prefer black and white postcards.

    New images will continually be added to this page and we invite you to check back for updates.  Click on an image for a larger view and description.  Enjoy!!

Mr. Walter Zielinski




Mr. James R. Owen
All Albums » Post Cards » Redfield Parkway, 1912 Search  
  View Original Size Photo 74 of 104
« Previous Redfield Parkway, 1912
Next »
This 1912 photo is of Redfield Parkway when it was newly laid out as a Garrett and Williams subdivision.  Dave Garrett and Charles A. Williams, one-time Batavia Mayor, Former Genesee County Sheriff and Grandfather of the late Ralph Bud Williams, were the developers.  The street was 73 feet wide and 1,970 feet in length when it became part of the then-village of Batavia.  The stone pillars at the entrance still stand ind it is hoped they will stand for at least the next 100 years.  Note that many of the lots closest to West Main Street have been cleared but the areas up the street are wooded.  West Main Street was not yet paved.
This 1912 photo is of Redfield Parkway when it was newly laid out as a Garrett and Williams subdivision. Dave Garrett and Charles A. Williams, one-time Batavia Mayor, Former Genesee County Sheriff and Grandfather of the late Ralph "Bud" Williams, were the developers. The street was 73 feet wide and 1,970 feet in length when it became part of the then-village of Batavia. The stone pillars at the entrance still stand ind it is hoped they will stand for at least the next 100 years. Note that many of the lots closest to West Main Street have been cleared but the areas up the street are wooded. West Main Street was not yet paved.
« Previous Return To Origin Next »
Copyright 2011 by Holland Land Office Museum    Terms Of Use      Login
DotNetNuke® is copyright 2002-2019 by DotNetNuke Corporation