Images of the Past by Walter Zielinski & James Owen

Minimize

   The Holland Land Office Museum acquired more than 2,000 postcards and other memorabilia from local collector and museum friend, Mr. Walter Zielinski.  As a tribute to Mr. Zielinski, we are pleased to share his collection.  Holland Purchase Historical Society Board Member, Mr. James R. Owen has volunteered many hours researching information to provide descriptions of the postcards.  

    Color or colorization?  What's the difference?  History tells us that postcards were first published in 1869 in Germany and were mainly printed in black and white.  It was not until about 1898 that postcards were routinely colorized, a process in which publishers sent their photographs to Italy or India, where lithography was an art, to be colorized. 

   Colorization was found to be more attractive to the consumer and increased sales.  Only problem was that the artists in Europe or India had to use their imagination when coloring the photos and most of the time, the colors were artificial, not accurate, or reliable.  In our collection, many postcards highlight particular buildings in Batavia which can show the buildings in up to three different color schemes!  Colorization of postcards ended around 1930 when printing techniques improved and postcards were printed in true to life colors.  Most collectors today prefer black and white postcards.

    New images will continually be added to this page and we invite you to check back for updates.  Click on an image for a larger view and description.  Enjoy!!

Mr. Walter Zielinski




Mr. James R. Owen
All Albums » Post Cards » Hamilton Hotel dining room, Batavia Search  
  View Original Size Photo 43 of 104
« Previous Hamilton Hotel dining room, Batavia
Next »
This vintage color postcard shows the main dining room at the Hamilton Hotel, which was located at 22-24 Main St. in Batavia from 1920 until about 1934.  The former Hamilton Hotel was bought from Mrs. Hamilton and named the Berry Patch.  In 1950 Duncan McWilliams filed for bankruptcy, the restaurant was closed and the Berry Patch name retired.  The last proprietors at 22-24 Main St. revived an earlier name and called their night spot the New Hamilton Hotel.  The Urban Renewal Agency cleared the area in November 1972.
This vintage color postcard shows the main dining room at the Hamilton Hotel, which was located at 22-24 Main St. in Batavia from 1920 until about 1934. The former Hamilton Hotel was bought from Mrs. Hamilton and named the Berry Patch. In 1950 Duncan McWilliams filed for bankruptcy, the restaurant was closed and the Berry Patch name retired. The last proprietors at 22-24 Main St. revived an earlier name and called their night spot the New Hamilton Hotel. The Urban Renewal Agency cleared the area in November 1972.
« Previous Return To Origin Next »
Copyright 2011 by Holland Land Office Museum    Terms Of Use      Login
DotNetNuke® is copyright 2002-2019 by DotNetNuke Corporation