Images of the Past by Walter Zielinski & James Owen

Minimize

   The Holland Land Office Museum acquired more than 2,000 postcards and other memorabilia from local collector and museum friend, Mr. Walter Zielinski.  As a tribute to Mr. Zielinski, we are pleased to share his collection.  Holland Purchase Historical Society Board Member, Mr. James R. Owen has volunteered many hours researching information to provide descriptions of the postcards.  

    Color or colorization?  What's the difference?  History tells us that postcards were first published in 1869 in Germany and were mainly printed in black and white.  It was not until about 1898 that postcards were routinely colorized, a process in which publishers sent their photographs to Italy or India, where lithography was an art, to be colorized. 

   Colorization was found to be more attractive to the consumer and increased sales.  Only problem was that the artists in Europe or India had to use their imagination when coloring the photos and most of the time, the colors were artificial, not accurate, or reliable.  In our collection, many postcards highlight particular buildings in Batavia which can show the buildings in up to three different color schemes!  Colorization of postcards ended around 1930 when printing techniques improved and postcards were printed in true to life colors.  Most collectors today prefer black and white postcards.

    New images will continually be added to this page and we invite you to check back for updates.  Click on an image for a larger view and description.  Enjoy!!

Mr. Walter Zielinski




Mr. James R. Owen
All Albums » Post Cards » Masonic Temple, Batavia Search  
  View Original Size Photo 57 of 104
« Previous Masonic Temple, Batavia
Next »
This colorized postcard is of the Masonic Temple building at East Main and Center Streets in Batavia.  The Masons laid the cornerstone for the structure on November 11, 1908, and it was formally dedicated the new temple on June 24, 1911, with Edward Gubb as Master.  Note the old cars in front and the American flag on top of the building.
This colorized postcard is of the Masonic Temple building at East Main and Center Streets in Batavia. The Masons laid the cornerstone for the structure on November 11, 1908, and it was formally dedicated the new temple on June 24, 1911, with Edward Gubb as Master. Note the old cars in front and the American flag on top of the building.
« Previous Return To Origin Next »
Copyright 2011 by Holland Land Office Museum    Terms Of Use      Login
DotNetNuke® is copyright 2002-2019 by DotNetNuke Corporation